Thursday, February 16, 2017

Introducing Ellen's Esplanade

=

It's pattern release day!

Meet Ellen's Esplanade, the newest pattern by Chris W Designs for her easy street pattern lineI loved sewing up this bag, it's a very quick sew and results in a polished and fucntional shoulderbag that is so fun to carry. At 15" W x  11" H x 5.5" D it's a generously sized bag without being oversized. 





I loved the side pockets, they are cute and super convenient for stashing your phone, keys, and even a small umbrella. I also love that this design element allows you to use up a fun print that you've been holding onto our pairing something fun and bold against a more neutral main panel print. 




For this bag I used essex linen for the exterior and strap, this gorgeous AMH print for the pockets and for the interior I found a beautiful purple peppered cotton that plays against the purple in the pockets.



The interior has a zip pocket, that is very generously sized and the bag construction involves turning the bag through this pocket, a technique that I love. 



The top has a recessed zip closure and is super easy to install. As a general rule, I am not a fan of zip pockets in my personal bags only because I am always too lazy to zip them closed. With that said, I always love the way they look, and I think recessed zips are my favorite!






The recessed zip also allows for a bit of bling by way of the zipper ends. I do love my bling! You can get these zip ends from Emmaline Bags here




I loved how the top stitching thread popped against the linen! It might be my favorite thing about this bag. 


This bag calls for either fusible fleece or foam stabilzer depending on your preference for structure. I opted for the foam stabilizer and I did like the results, but I think if I make it again I would prefer the slouchier look that fusible fleece would give. The only part that I didn't like was that I had used fusible fleece in the side pockets, which flop over at the top with the weight of the hardware when not being carried. Next time I will try fleece on the body and possibly foam on the side pockets to help keep them more structured. 



This bag is a very quick and pleasant sew, it comes together easily and is a great way to try different looks by using various types of fabrics and hardware. I love that the side pockets are functional. 




Head over to read up on the pattern release and pick up your copy here.


1 comment:

nice stuff said...

this bags are awesome .