Saturday, December 22, 2012

Down to the wire

Why is it no matter how early I start, how much I plan, I'm always rushing at the last minute to get things done before Christmas?

Thankfully I took some extra time off this week to help get those last minute things done ( you know, like ALL of my Christmas shopping!). After a 24 hours filled with nothing but shopping like a mad woman, I finally settled in tonight to work on a project I had in mind for some Christmas gifts.

My inspiration were these lovelies and I hoped to make some personalized canisters. I found some great tips here, gathered my supplies and set to work.


It was harder than expected to find the etching cream, I guess everyone is etching glass for Christmas gifts! Finally I found some at Micheal's, Martha Stewart of course has her own brand (at 24.99)...sorry Martha. Armor Etch was 12.99 for 3 oz and with a handy 50% off coupon it was less than 7 bucks. I found the canisters at Hobby Lobby for 50% off and grabbed some basic scrap book stickers.

The most painstaking part of the process was of course placing the stickers. I was really careful to not touch the glass with my hands after I had cleaned it, so my stickers were mostly placed with my x-acto knife.

Once it was all stickered and taped, it was time to slather on the etching cream. I followed the advice given and kind of pushed it around a bit every couple of minutes and let it sit for a total of five minutes.





 Once the five minutes is up, just wash off with soap and water and the stickers and tape easily come off under the water.

I have to say, I'm really pleased with the results. I can't wait to etch some more things! It was much easier than I expected and I made four canisters in less than an hour!










A glass of wine helps the process a bit of course.

Now, time for last minute sewing! Eek! Only Three days left!






No comments: